This great homemade dog food dish contains the best ingredients cooked in a saucepan. It’s a little industry secret that making dog food at home is amazingly easy and very nutritious. Similar to our homemade dog nibbles recipe, this Chicken and Rice Dog Food Recipe uses a mix of healthy vegetables and chicken protein to create a wonderful money-saving addition to your dog’s diet.
Substitutions are allowed in the composition of this Crockpot dog food! For vegetables, try broccoli florets, zucchini, spinach, or one of the different types of pumpkin. Diced beef, turkey, eggs or lamb also work as a source of protein. Use organic ingredients whenever possible.
It is important to look for homemade dog food ingredients to keep your pet safe. This dog food recipe is safe for most dogs. However, if you have any concerns, speak to your veterinarian or dietitian.
Crockpot Chicken & Brown Rice dog food
Homemade healthy pot dog food is easier to prepare than you would think!
- 1 cup of brown rice
- 2 cups of water
- 1/2 pound green beans, broken into segments
- 1 medium sweet potato, raw, cut into medium-sized pieces (leave skin on)
- 3 carrots, cut into rounds about 1 “thick
- 2 boneless chicken breasts (with or without skin) or 4 to 6 boneless and skinless chicken legs
1. Put all the ingredients in the pot in the order shown (layer, do not mix).
2. Cook on low for about 8 hours and on high for about 5 hours.
3. When done, stir and break the chicken into small pieces. Everything will be pretty soft.
4. Let cool and serve; Can be used with a high quality snack or on its own in a serving size that suits your dog’s weight and activity level.
Store unused portions in the refrigerator. lasts up to three days.
For more homemade dog food recipes, check out these meat and fish recipes by Barbara Laino.
P.S. One reader let us know that she put the recipe on a nutritional analysis site and that having 1 pound of boneless, skinless thighs gives 200 calories per 1 cup. Hope this helps determine how much your dog needs.